Thursday, December 2, 2010

Stogo



While my boyfriend Serrano and I were in Manhattan in October, we had a chance to wander around the East Village with Poblano, his brother. Poblano is also dairy free, and he suggested I try Stogo, which has dairy free ice cream. 


I've never had fresh dairy free ice cream before, and I was excited that there was such a wide variety of flavors. Plus I have many fond memories of eating gelato in Italy, and this was served the same way.


I was able to sample several flavors, and they were all just as good as regular ice cream. The only difference is in the consistency, which isn't even that noticeable. The choice in flavors is what sold me, and two of my favorites were Pumpkin Pie and Salted Caramel. 


They also sold Babycakes desserts and vegan truffles. I wanted to try more than just the ice cream, but I didn't get a chance.




It was a very difficult choice, but I settled on Peanut Butter Fudge and Mexican Spiced Chocolate. The Mexican Spiced Chocolate had a lot of kick, but I liked the combination of sweet and spicy. The Peanut Butter Fudge was amazingly delicious. Serrano loves peanut butter and chocolate together and doesn't really like eating dairy free, but he thought that their Peanut Butter Fudge was the best he'd ever had. Even better than regular ice cream. Coming from him, that's saying something.


I just was happy I could enjoy a fresh bowl of ice cream that wouldn't hurt me later.

No comments: