Friday, October 22, 2010

Back In the Land of Milk and Honey

Even though I was loving my time in Connecticut and New York, I had to cut my trip short to take care of some things that could not wait.

 I was sad to leave early, and when I caught a taxi to JFK in the rain I watched Manhattan and Queens fly blearily by me, wishing I didn't have to leave just yet. But by the time I landed in the rain in Long Beach, I realized that when I first moved to New York at age eighteen I came with the lingering impression that New Yorkers and nearly the entire East Coast were so different from the West Coast it should be another country.

But this time, as I walked around Grand Central Station and took the subway around Manhattan, I realized that I  had been wrong. I saw much less of the things I thought made us so different and saw more that we really are the same. People living in major cities are very similar, whether they're sitting in traffic on the 405 or waiting for their train to arrive. And yes, in some ways, New York and LA are different and always will be. But for the most part, we are all more similar than some of us would like to think.


The business I had to rush back for has had me running all over downtown Los Angeles, but I've enjoyed rediscovering the city. I've had a chance to visit some familiar sights that hold fond memories for me. I used to not like LA because everything is so spread out, but I realized that I've grown very familiar with it and that familiar quality makes it more comfortable than any other city I've been to. I've traveled all over the world and loved some cities more than others, but I know Los Angeles, and some parts of it will always loyally be the same to me. I have many fond memories from my childhood and adult life, and for that I will always feel that I am an inherent part of Los Angeles.

I still have plenty from my trip to share with you. I have many more recipes, a restaurant review, bakery review, and even a review of a dairy free ice cream shop. But at the moment I'm still running around like a chicken with my head cut off, so I haven't been able to share all of my flavorful memories yet. But they were delicious, and, best of all, gluten and dairy free.



No comments: