Sunday, February 7, 2010

LA Style Hot Dogs

My best friend Curry introduced me to these when she first took me shopping with her in downtown LA's fashion district. It was love at first bite.

While my boyfriend Serrano and I were walking out of the Hollywood Bowl after seeing Radiohead there, a man was selling these on the sidewalk from a small grill. I grabbed Serrano's hand and practically ran over a few people so that we could be first in line to get some hot dogs.

Last week I went with my dad to the Farmer's Market at Marine Stadium in Long Beach--it's in walking distance from our house and is there every Wednesday--and found a stand that made these delicious things. When I told the man I wanted one without a bun, he prepared them in a way I'd never seen before.

So here is my version, and it's delicious. And by the way, this is what a lot of LA partyers eat when they're drunk, but it's just as good when you're sober. I served this to my dad and his friends today for the Super Bowl, and they loved it. For a party setting like that, we kept the sausages warm in a dutch oven and the peppers and onions in a casserole dish, both in the oven to keep warm. I put the chopped Serranos in a separate bowl to make it easy for serving.


L.A. Hot Dogs
2 Onions
2 Red Bell Peppers
2 Green Bell Peppers
8 Sausages
8 Bacon Strips
3 Serrano Peppers

Cut up bell peppers and onions into small pieces, about half an inch thick. Cut Serranos in half and de-seed (leave seeds in to make it spicy), then cut into small pieces. Wrap the sausages in the bacon.

Spray cooking spray into a large skillet. Sprinkle in the Serrano pieces a few minutes, just until brown. Remove and put into a small bowl. Add the bell peppers and onions to the skillet, cook on medium heat until soft and tender, a little less than ten minutes.

Then add the sausages, one at a time. Cook until they are slightly brown on the outside, then remove sausage from the skillet. Place on a cutting board and cut in half, but so that the pieces are still attached. Place back on the skillet so that the uncooked insides are facing down. Cook for a bit longer, then put sausage back on the cutting board.

Cut completely in half, then slice into pieces a little over an inch thick. Put all of the pieces back into the skillet, then add a good clump of the bell peppers and onions. Toss in some Serrano pieces, then mix everything together and cook for a couple more minutes. Serve on a plate and top with desired toppings. Enjoy.







No comments: