Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gastritis Tips

I'm beginning to think that gastritis is practically a trick to eating healthy. The diet is a little strict, but it's very similar to what we are always told is a healthy diet. First, you can only eat a few meals a day. No three squares or you will be very unhappy. Second, you have to drink a lot of water. No caffeine and no sodas. You can drink non-acidic fruit juices and herbal tea, but that's it. Third, you're supposed to exercise 5 days a week for at least thirty minutes. Fourth, you can't eat anything greasy, processed, refined, or fried. No junk food. You can cook protein differently, but the best way to eat vegetables is to steam them. You must be shocked to hear this, but I've already lost weight. 


It's actually not as hard as it sounds. After the pain I was in, it's a relief to eat something and feel fine afterward. One trick is not to eat too much. This means that you snack a lot, but you snack on healthy stuff, like fruit. I don't know if this is common, but it doesn't take much to fill me up anymore. This means that if you have gastritis, one thing to do is make something like chicken salad or deviled eggs, because you can snack on it whenever you need to and it will last a couple days.


Eating out is difficult. Right after I was diagnosed Serrano and I went to the Starling Diner in Long Beach, where I had a very exciting breakfast of scrambled eggs, chicken cooked with herbs, and brown rice. At first I was discouraged because that was about the only thing I could eat, but afterwards I was happy because I wasn't in pain. 


The real trick is in following my doctor's advice. He told me to eat bland food, wear loose clothing, take Prilosec twice a day and Pepto Bismol if I need it, drink lots of water, no caffeine or foods containing it, not to lie down thirty minutes after eating, to eat small meals throughout the day, and not to eat anything acidic like tomatoes or citrus. 


Before I come up with recipes, I knew I needed to do a bit more research. After looking at a few websites (which I'll post below), I came up with three lists of ingredients. What to Eat, Avoid, and Be Careful of. What to Eat and Avoid is simple. But under Be Careful, many of these ingredients vary. Things like barbecue sauce and chili peppers you should obviously eat sparingly, but things like bell peppers, beans, and almonds might give you gas or other problems. But that's a might. Not will. 


The main trick is to figure out what does and doesn't work for you. If you make a list, that really helps. I know from experience that tomatoes build up the acid in my stomach, so I'm staying away from them completely. Everyone's body is different, so it's important to listen to yours.


So here are my guiding lists of what to Eat, Avoid, and Be Careful of.


Eat     
Apples, Juice & Sauce
Bananas
Blueberries
Celery
Cherries
Chicken
Cranberries & Juice
Fish
GF Dry Toast
Grape Juice
Grapes
Green Tea
Kale
Kiwi
Melon
Mild Herbal Teas
Onions
Pasta
Peaches
Peanut Butter
Pear Juice &Pears
Rice
Sea Vegetables
Seafood
Soft Cooked Eggs
Squash
Steamed Green Beans
Steamed Spinach
Steamed Zucchini
Tofu
Turkey
Water (lots)

Avoid
Alcohol
Black Pepper
Broccoli
Cabbage
Caffeine
Canned Foods
Carbonated Drinks
Chocolate
Cocoa
Cola
Dairy
Fried Food
Gluten
Grease
Junk Food
Lemons
Limes
Oranges
Pasta
Peppermint
Processed/Refined Food
Red Pepper
Sugar
Tomato-based soups
Tomatoes

Be Careful
Almonds
Barbecue Sauce
Beans
Beef Jerky
Bell Peppers
Chile Peppers & Powders
Chili or Bean-Based Soups
Cinnamon
Cloves
Crisp Bacon
Fatty Foods
Garlic
Horseradish
Lemonade
Limeade
Peanuts
Pickled Vegetables
Pickles
Seasoned and Cured Meats
Steak or Worcestershire Sauce
Walnuts

Following that, there is only:

What to Do
Eat small meals throughout the day
Drink lots of water
Eat Fiber
Don’t lie down for 30 minutes after eating
Eat bland food
Stop doing things that irritate your stomach, like: 
    Smoking Cigarettes
    Drinking Alcohol
    Taking Ibuprofen or Aspirin (Acetaminophen is ok)
    Drinking coffee, caffeine, carbonated drinks, citrus drinks
Eat foods containing flavanoids and antioxidants
Eat foods high in B vitamins and calcium
Exercise at least 30 min a day 5 days a week
Also will help to take daily:
     A multivitamin
     Probiotics
     Omega 3 fatty acids

Here are the websites I looked at for advice. They have information about the disease, along with food suggestions. 












No comments: