Friday, January 22, 2010

Spiced Bacon and Eggs

A few weeks ago I got the idea of putting spices on bacon, and I was very interested by the results. I tried a few on just myself, but then used an entire package of bacon on my parents and myself and had us each write down our thoughts. It was actually pretty funny, but turned out better than I'd expected.

Our favorites were smoked paprika, garam masala, and cayenne pepper. My parents liked fresh ground pepper on the bacon, but it was too bland for my taste. They also loved lemon peel, but I found it to be a tad bitter. I did like turmeric, which gives the bacon a subtle flavor. Sage, cumin, and nutmeg were good, but not great. My recommendation is to experiment with some of your favorite flavors and see what tastes good to you. It may seem to be redundant to put flavor on bacon, but you'd be surprised.

To make it like this, simply place the raw bacon on a saucepan or skillet and sprinkle a fair amount of the spice onto the meat. Turn over and repeat, then let it cook like normal. Most of the spices will stick to the bacon. Just be forewarned that if you use turmeric, it will turn everything neon yellow, so I used it last.

For the eggs, I cooked mine in the leftover bacon grease and spices. If you don't want that, you can use a paper towel to clean out the bacon grease and then cook the eggs. You may need to add more spices to the eggs to complement the bacon, but eating them together will give you a very tasty breakfast, like what I had today!







No comments: